Saturday, October 31, 2015

JUST STAND





























"...after you have done everything...stand." 

 Ephesians 6:13b




There are days in this last year plus that just getting out of bed has been a huge victory.  Standing and walking have been huge, too.  In the midst of a fierce, draining battle, standing is actually quite a remarkable and courageous act.

I know these verses are clearly couched in the heart of some of the most powerful and specific teaching on spiritual warfare in the NT.  Sometimes we differentiate between "trials" and "spiritual warfare" when really there is a complex overlap.  Isn't it all about living in a visible earthly realm with a heavenly invisible perspective?  Isn't it all about "making known the mystery" through our lives - especially in our suffering - whatever the catalyst or form our suffering has?  It may be that "simply standing" shows others God's amazing grace in far more tangible & dramatic ways than walking or running.

I have yet to meet someone who likes to be weak or to just "be standing" but if we had any kind of perspective on what it takes for a lot of us to "just stand", they would hold our deepest respect!

On my days when discouragement hovers over me because I get caught up focusing on how long it is taking to recover my physical strength & energy during this time of grief, how little I seem to accomplish in a day compared to before, the anxiety that quickly rises up in me in the face of any stress, the yo-yo of emotions that still overwhelm me, my lack of usual vision & passion in our work, my diminished emotional capacity for people and the spiritual questions that haunt me...I have to remind myself that it is just a day for standing.  "Just stand," He whispers to me, "Today, just stand."

So I am trying to rest in my standing.  To be patient in my standing, to be ok with my standing.  To let others stand with me and to let the world see that I am "just standing" at a time when I could be laying down.  Oh I pray they will see the mystery and grace of my standing!



In the words of Melbourne Street Artists Avant-Garde:






























First photo by:  Hamed Masoumi


6 comments:

  1. standing with you and your family...thank you for sharing your heart and life and thank you for standing today in the midst of your great grief...jenna cheering you on from heaven (hebrews 11) ...xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much love to you and your family; you have been quiet pillars for us...

      Delete
  2. Yes, yes, yes. I agree with you. Thank you for sharing your heart. God bless the place you are standing on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pam, you describe so well what I experience too. I don't know whether that encourages you or not, but it encourages me to know that someone else feels these things. It is both mystery and grace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your whole life has encouraged me, Debbie, but yes, I am always encouraged to know that my experiences & emotions are common to others! We are not alone. Wishing you mystery & grace today...

      Delete
  4. Standing is a very great effort sometimes... it helps to have something solid to hold onto... or someone. Hold tight to Him dear sister, and stand firm. You are loved and prayed for this holiday season.

    ReplyDelete